Skip to main content

Dear Ibthihaal - I am sorry.


Dear Ibthihaal

I never had the opportunity to visit Rakeedhoo. I didn’t get to meet you. I didn’t get to know you. I didn’t know what you had to go through everyday in your life. I am sorry I was not there for you. I truly am sorry.

Ibthihaal, today I know about you. I know a little bit about you. Your country is talking about you. They talk of what happened to you. They talk of ways to blame each other on how you had to leave us. They seem to know everything about you.

You have left us, but you have left us all with a message, a message to always remember and reflect. You have reminded us of our failed systems and the amount of our ignorance, and you have also reminded us our responsibility, the individual responsibility and duty being human. You have reminded us of all those children being wronged and abused in the communities we live in.

I hear you now. Sorry I wasn’t able to hear you before. I promise I will not stay quite and watch anyone being wronged or abused! I will not let anyone I know suffer the way you had. Ibthihaal I will always remember you. 

Rest in peace. 

#DhivehiMeeha

Comments